Originally named the Brooklyn Hotel Supply Company, it was founded by Joseph DeBragga, Emil Guenther and James Heilman. In the mid 1930s, the company moved to Washington Street in what was to become the “meat market” district of Manhattan. In 1948, the company incorporated under its present name, DeBragga and Spitler, by Farmer DeBragga (Joseph’s son) and Paul Spitler.
In 1954, Marc Sarrazin joined the firm. Marc trained as a butcher at his family’s hotel and restaurant in the Charollais region of France, which is known for producing some of that country’s finest beef. The joy that Marc took in his work, selling New York’s top restaurants the finest cuts of meat, was evident in the strong relationships the company developed under his sales leadership. DeBragga and Spitler was working with the best: Le Pavillon, La Cote Basque, La Caravelle. Andre Soltner of Lutece and Sirio Maccioni of Le Cirque were personal friends.
In 1973, Marc Sarrazin became President of DeBragga and Spitler, and the company became known as one of the finest meat purveyors in the entire industry, working directly with the best restaurants and hotels throughout the New York metro region and the Caribbean. The company’s reputation for excellence, quality and consistency was made, and New York’s Butcher was ready for the next generation of great chefs and restaurants.
Marc Sarrazin retired in 1992, and stepped aside to welcome his son, Marc John Sarrazin, as President of DeBragga and Spitler. The new generation of leadership ushered in the new generation of four-star chefs as customers of DeBragga and Spitler: Daniel Boulud (of many restaurants under his ownership today), Laurent Tourendel, Eric Ripert and Charlie Palmer, just to mention a few. A seamless reputation for the highest quality meats in New York remained in tact under Marc. Visit Website